Author: Sharika Nair
Munna uncle led the perfect life. He had a very understanding wife, two lovely children who had now settled abroad and a booming business venture. What more could he ask for right? But of course there always has to be a ‘ kahani mein twist’.
One fine day he got a medical report showing high cholesterol levels. Hmmmm…. Munna uncle wasn’t surprised. He simply loved eating fast food. Since he had to make several business trips, often he ended up eating from places that weren’t too calorie friendly.
But right now he had no time to ponder over all that. He had a flight to catch to New York. It was a two week business trip. After several days of attending meetings, Munna uncle started getting bored of the sandwiches and salads.
Late in the evening while walking down one of the streets near his hotel he was given a choice to indulge in from a range of fast food joints- Mc-Donald’s, Burger King, Dominos, KFC etc. Which one would he choose? He is a non-vegetarian! Then, KFC it is!
He walks into KFC and looks at the menu board. Burgers in all sorts and shapes with grilled or fried chicken and a delicious portion of fries. Then he sees buckets. Buckets of chicken wings, buckets of crispy strips. He sees something so delicious it has the power to reconcile enemies, the power to help friendships blossom. But who is going to offer it to anyone? He has an entire KFC hot and crispy bucket chicken, fries, soft buns, coleslaw all by himself. The lovely crunchy, fried, crispy skin and the juicy meat underneath is so intense, so drool-icious; words cannot describe the feeling!
And then comes the second week wherein again he craves for yet another bucket. But the horrifying part is that it’s really bad for him, considering his rising cholesterol level. Plus memories of last week’s after effects come flashing back. He wouldn’t want to spend hours groaning on his bed as a result of greedily eating up a dozen pieces.
Solution: Suddenly he sees a board that says Kentucky- not-so-fried chicken! In fact it isn’t fried at all. It’s baked and minus all the greasy, oily, fatty skin but tastes just the same!
He doesn’t think twice and heads towards this innovative fast – food joint.
Guilt free indulgence indeed!
Healthy KFC Recipe
- 4 whole chicken breasts, boned, skinned
- 150 ml skimmed milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 200 gm plain white flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon seasoning ( you can use chilli, black pepper, garlic cloves, oregano, ground ginger)
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut up the butter into a few pieces and place it in a pan.
- Melt butter in the oven.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl mix the flour, paprika, seasoning, pepper and salt. Stir to combine.
- In another bowl, pour the milk. Dip each piece of chicken in the milk and then dip each side of chicken in the flour mixture until the chicken is evenly coated.
- Place the chicken in the baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn chicken over and bake the other side for an additional 20 minutes before removing from oven.
- Serve with coleslaw or salad or potatoes.
(I personally love soft bread to go with it)